We are excited to announce that Ascent Direct Primary Care is now a Liberty Direct Premier Practice! This is a great option for responsible consumers of healthcare who are tired of the increasing costs associated with healthcare and are ready to look for a better way. For our existing and prospective members, this is not mandatory or expected, and does not change who we are or how we operate. It is simply another option in how you pay for your membership with us and cover additional healthcare expenses such as imaging, preventive services, emergent, surgical and specialist care.
Liberty Direct is a cost sharing program that recognizes the quality and value of direct primary care along with the need for wise stewardship of member healthcare dollars, as out-of-pocket healthcare costs continue to spiral out of control for many. Like other healthcare cost sharing programs you may have heard of, Liberty Direct is comprised of members who pool their resources to cover one another's healthcare costs. Each member, couple, or family has a monthly share amount. Each year there is an unshared amount that the member is responsible to cover. After that amount is met, healthcare expenses are eligible for sharing. Healthcare cost sharing programs are not insurance and are EXEMPT from the Affordable Care Act. Members are EXEMPT from the ACA insurance requirement. Timely information, as Missouri's insurance exchange options narrow even more and costs continue to rise. What makes Liberty Direct unique is its partnership with and commitment to direct primary care practices. Liberty Direct actually pays a stipend toward your membership at direct primary care premier practices, like Ascent Direct Primary Care, that covers a substantial portion of our membership!
Ready to take back control of your healthcare spending? Then read on for the details:
Liberty Direct Cost
- Initial membership dues $125 for the first year then $75 each year thereafter.
- Monthly share amount for individual, couple, family of any size (if youngest spouse < 30 yrs old): $149, $249, $399, respectively.
- Monthly share amount for individual, couple, family of any size (if youngest spouse > 30 yrs old): $199, $299, $449, respectively.
- Unshared amount for individual, couple, family of any size: $500, $1000, $1500, respectively. After that amount is spent out-of-pocket on healthcare, additional costs are eligible for sharing.
- Monthly stipend for direct primary care membership for individual, couple, family: $60, $80, $100, respectively.
- Liberty Direct has not raised their costs in 5 years!
Eligible Expenses (not a comprehensive list)
- Acute and first-time medications. Maintenance medications are not eligible for sharing but a drug savings card is provided.
- Preventive services such as colonoscopy and mammograms
- Imaging such as x-ray, MRI, CT
- Emergent care
- Surgical care
- Specialist visits
- Naturopathic/alternative medicine
- Chiropractic care
Since Liberty Direct is not insurance, it can deny membership based on pre-existing conditions. About 3-4% of applicants are not approved. Others are approved with limited sharing on the pre-existing condition, with coverage for that condition increasing with each year of membership. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, obesity and smoking are NOT considered pre-existing and are not excluded from sharing. Members with these conditions pay an additional $80/month in their monthly share amount to cover a personal health coach that partners directly with the member to establish a healthy lifestyle and prevent complications from these conditions.
Healthcare cost sharing programs present a great alternative to a system that has become unacceptable for many of us. These programs are in-line with the aim of direct primary care in providing quality, cost transparency and accountability, and access to care. Liberty Direct takes this innovation and commitment a step further in partnering with its premier practices like Ascent Direct Primary care to pay a monthly stipend for your membership. We are excited to be a part of this! We don't have to settle for the status quo!
Feel free to contact us or visit the Liberty Direct website at www.libertydirect.org. The site has a live chat option in the lower right corner where you can get quick answers to questions.